How to Get an Austin TX Police Report (Free for Injured Victims)

Get Your Free Austin Accident Police Report Here:

If you were hurt or injured in an accident, simply tell us your contact info here… we’ll reach out to you to get the necessary details about the accident so that we can get the report for you (100% free).

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


Quite understandably, most people would like a copy of the police report after being in an Austin area car accident. In fact, obtaining a copy of the police report is one of the first things we do for our clients that were hurt or injured in a car accident.

If you were recently in a car accident in Austin and would like a copy of the APD car accident report or other important documents, please feel free to call us at (512) 382-7707 or email us.

Our accident and injury attorneys, as well as our knowledgeable staff, have experience collecting the necessary documents in regard to your car accident. If you have questions about what to do when you get in a car accident, the proper way to get these documents, or would like our assistance in doing so, please contact us. Or, if you prefer, you can stop by and sit down with one of our accident attorneys in person to discuss your incident and any questions you may have.

Call us at (512) 382-7707 now or email us today for a completely free consultation.


How to Get an Austin TX Police Report After a Car Accident

To get an Austin police department accident report following a motor vehicle accident, you must make sure that a report has been filed and actually exists.

There will only be an Austin police report if either the Austin Police Department responded to the scene or if someone reported the accident directly to the Austin TX police department sometime after leaving the scene, typically this is one or both of the drivers. In fact, while many people fail to file an APD accident reportTexas law actually requires that most car accidents be reported to the Texas Department of Transportation within ten days of the crash if the police did not respond to the scene.

This is true even if police were called and requested but did not respond. If however, no one was injured and the property damage is less than $1,000, no APD crash report needs to be filed.

File an Accident Report with the Texas DOT

If the police did not respond to the scene and you need to file a police report after the fact, you will actually be filing an Austin accident report with the DOT in Texas.

To do this, you will need to file what is referred to as a CR-2 form or blue form. This is the only way Travis County allows you to report a car accident, hence it’s the only way to obtain a Travis County crash report. Travis County may respond to the scene of an accident, but they will fill out the CR-3 form, which is standardized for the state of Texas.

What Should You Fill Out on Form CR-2?

When completing the Crash Report form or Form CR-2 (PDF), it will be requested that you provide the following information, so it may be worth gathering this information before starting the process.

  • Place and time of the accident
  • The name, address, and date of birth of all motor vehicle operators involved in the accident
  • The driver license information (State of license, license number) of all motor vehicle operators involved in the accident
  • The driver’s license plate number and state of all motor vehicle operators involved in the accident
  • The name and address of all policyholders and the name of their insurance
  • The name and address of all registered vehicle owners of motor vehicles involved in the accident
  • A summary of what happened during the motor vehicle accident
  • Weather and road conditions at the time of the accident

Also, if the person injured in the car accident is unable to complete the form due to their injuries or other reasons, it may be permissible for their insurance agent, the owner of the vehicle, or their legal representative to complete the form for them.


To request a copy of the APD police report you can either go online and order the police report for automatic download at a cost of $9.00, or you can go into a local police department and request the report at a cost of $6.00. If you were injured in an accident, we’ll pull your report for free!


You can also request the Austin crash report online using the Austin Public Records Department. If you want to use the Austin Police Department, you must create an account, and submit the request using that method.

If you have additional questions regarding the steps to obtain a police report after a car accident in the Austin area, please feel free to contact Sandoval & James.

In an accident in Hays County? Learn how to get your Hays County Sheriff accident report online. And see our posts on San Marcos, Round Rock, Georgetown, and more.

Additional Resources:


Austin is located in Travis County, TX. Here are instructions to get your Travis County accident report. What about an accident that takes place in Williamson County, TX? View our guide to Williamson County police reports or our guides for specific cities in Williamson County like our Round Rock, TX accident reports guide, Pflugerville police reports guide, or our Georgetown, TX police report guide. Use our guide to find your TxDOT CRIS crash report.

Just one of our many client reviews: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “The results are beyond our expectations. This is the best personal injury law firm in town! Everything was great, thank you!” -Fernando G. on Google

As of 5/17/24, SJW Car Accident & Injury Lawyers Austin has a 4.9 rating from 1,596 total reviews on Google Maps.