Serious Injury Lawyers in Austin, TX
Almost every injury, no matter how “minor,” has an impact on your life, at least for a while. An injury may be painful, limit your mobility and ability to do everyday tasks or keep you off the job for a stretch. Many such injuries heal and — inconvenience, discomfort, and medical treatment and costs aside — ultimately leave you no worse for the wear.
But some injuries never heal.
Whether it happened behind the wheel, at work, on a surgical table, in a nursing home, or elsewhere, a catastrophic injury can permanently alter the lives of whole families. Victims may never fully be the same person they once were; unable to play with their friends, hug their kids, or even recognize their spouses. The basic activities of life can become frustrating challenges.
Families coping with such a loss can find themselves overwhelmed by the emotional, financial, and practical difficulties involved in caring for a loved one who may need constant support. All of this is in addition to a lifetime of astronomically expensive and painful medical treatment and rehabilitation.
We have seen first-hand the devastation that follows when someone’s negligence or irresponsible conduct causes a catastrophic injury. Here at Sandoval & James, we provide compassionate support and committed representation for individuals and families throughout Texas who need the critical resources and compensation that can alleviate their burdens. We are fierce serious injury law litigators who are committed to our client’s well-being and are unrelenting in our efforts on their behalf.
What Makes an Injury "Catastrophic?"
While there is no settled legal definition of “catastrophic” injuries, they are generally considered when someone suffers severe injury or a devastating injury in which the victim has a permanent long-term disability that prevents them from working and supporting their family.
Common examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury in Austin, it is crucial to seek the guidance of an experienced spinal cord injury attorney who can protect your rights and help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Life-impacting head injuries as a result of someone’s negligence require an experienced Austin traumatic brain injury lawyer who is compassionate to their client, and fearful for their adversary. If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury, it’s crucial to seek the guidance and support of an experienced Austin brain injury attorney near you.
- Severe burns or disfigurement
- Seek legal assistance from an experienced Austin burn injury lawyer who can guide you through the process of pursuing rightful compensation.
- Amputation Injury
- Dismembered or amputated limbs
Most Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
The most common causes of catastrophic injuries our team of Austin injury lawyers see:
- Car Accidents
- Slip and Falls
- Acts of Violence
- Sports & Recreational Activities
- Medical Errors
The following statistics have been reported by the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center.
Each year, approximately 12,500 individuals manage to survive spinal cord injuries. The majority of these injuries occur as a result of car accidents, accounting for 38% of the cases.
Falls are the second most common cause, contributing to 30% of the injuries. Acts of violence account for 14% of the cases, while sports and other recreational activities are responsible for 9% of the injuries.
Medical errors are the cause of 5% of spinal cord injuries, and the remaining 4% can be attributed to various other factors.
The Cost of Catastrophic Injuries
No matter the nature of a catastrophic injury, victims and their families share many struggles and can face astronomical expenses. When coupled with the loss of income, these costs can be nearly impossible to fathom.
For example, the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center estimates that the average annual cost of treatment for individuals with paraplegia is $537,271 in the first year and $71,172 every year after that.
Victims can owe hundreds of thousands of dollars in expenses for such needed items as:
- Emergency medical care
- Lengthy and repeated hospitalizations
- Multiple surgeries and other medical inpatient treatments
- Rehabilitation and physical or occupational therapy
- Specialized equipment and medical supplies needed for returning home
- Alterations to the home or vehicles to accommodate the victim’s physical limitations
- Mental health support and treatment for victims and their families
- In-home caregivers
Of course, bills and invoices don’t show all of the costs of a catastrophic injury. A severely diminished quality of life, heavy emotional burdens, and the loss of many of the abilities and experiences we often take for granted add to the toll. In these cases, you want to find the best catastrophic injury lawyer in Austin to hold others accountable and get maximum compensation.
Sandoval & James: Top-Rated Catastrophic Injury Lawyers Near You in Austin, TX
We are committed to getting our clients the maximum compensation they deserve.
When someone else inflicts a catastrophic injury on an innocent victim, we hold them accountable for their negligence. At Sandoval & James, we aggressively pursue compensation for all losses suffered by our clients, fighting for the resources that can give them some much-needed comfort, ease their pain, and bring them a sense of justice.